Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Faith or Fear?

God brought the Israelites out of Egypt in order to take them to the Promised Land!

They had experienced all the miracles of God which protected them during the plaques. They and their firstborn had been preserved during the passover. They had been saved from the Egyptians when going through the Red Sea. They all had experienced what God did for them. They had seen His Power. But their unbelief kept them from the Promised Land.

Three 'unbeliefs' which kept that generation out of the promised land.

They didn't have water in the wilderness and complained (murmured) against Moses saying, "Why have you brought us out here to kill us with thirst?"(My paraphrase) as though God was going to let them die of thirst in the wilderness after showing His power over water in bringing them out of Egypt through the Red Sea (Ex. 15:22f; Ex.17:3). They didn't have food and complained against Moses saying "We should have died by God's hand in Egypt, at least there we had food to eat!"(My paraphrase) As though God was going to let them starved after providing food for them and protecting during the plagues (Ex 16:2-8).

Joshua and Caleb brought back milk and honey from Canaan but because the Canaanites were strong people again they complained against Moses saying "Oh, we should have died in Egypt at least there our children would be safe."(My paraphrase) As though God was going to let their children die after saving their first born (Numbers 14:3). (note-their children were the only ones allowed in the Promised land, Numbers 32:13)

They had an evil heart which resulted in no life in the Promised Land. They did not have faith in God's love for them (took God's word for it) for their salvation from Egypt to the Promised land. It wasn't their disobedience that kept them from entering the promised land, it was their FEAR. The opposite of love is not hate, it is fear. An evil heart is a fearful heart.

We have been taught the root of sin is disobedience but is it actually fear?

If I steal is it because I fear I don't have what I need or want?

If I lie is it because I fear that the truth will make me look bad or I won't get what I want?

If I commit immorality or adultery is it because I fear not being loved?

If I hoard and always want more (build bigger barns) is it because I fear losing what I have?

If I judge others is it because of fear that I am being judged?

If I am legalistic is it because I fear the law?

If I try to control others is it because I fear they are out of control (and who better to determine that than me?)

If I try to cheat death is it because I fear death?

If I believe there is no God is it because I fear God?

In most cases, these questions can be answered with a 'YES'.

If one digs hard enough you will find the root of fear in any sin. We may not recognize the fear in that is there but the root is usually fear.

The result of this fear was the inability of the Israelites to take God at His word. Because of this fear they weren't able see or listen to God with eyes and ears of faith. And since God loathed them from day one, they never did have faith, they were simply following Moses but not trusting God (Numbers 32:13). This sin which kept them out of the Promised Land was not disobedience to God's requirements. It was FEAR through unbelief that kept them from entering in. Fear through unbelief is the only thing that keeps us from entering the Sabbath Rest symbolized by the Promised Land.

God in Jesus Christ:

Is our water: (John 7:38 KJV) He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Is our food: (John 6:35 KJV) And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger;

Is our life:(John 5:24 KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death (Egypt) unto life (promised land). (John 3:36 KJV) He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Those who believe (take God at His word) enter that rest symbolized by the promised land. (Heb. 4:3) They have eternal life, right here, the minute they took God at His word when He said Jesus died for their sins and counted that final sacrifice as their own. They have been transferred out of death into life, out of the 1st Adam into the Second Adam, Christ, never to experience death again.

How are we, today, any different than the Israelites in the wilderness?

Fear says, "I know God said Christ was sacrificed for my sins and forgave me but I'm not really 100% convinced of that so I must beg Him to forgive me every time I sin just to make sure. I must work to keep my forgiveness."

Fear says, "I know God said righteousness is a gift by faith but I'm not 100% sure of that so I must work to add to my righteousness by my good deeds."

Fear says, "I know God said if I believe (Jn. 3:16-18) I 'have' eternal life as a free gift but I'm not 100% convinced of that so I have to work to pay Him back for that free gift."

One can have no rest without Peace.

No Peace if they try to continue to beg for forgiveness of their sins, that will only bring fear because how they will ever know when they have begged enough?

No Peace if they try to work for their righteousness, that will only bring fear because how will they ever know when they have become righteous enough?

No Peace if they try to add anything to God's Grace promise of eternal life, that will only bring fear because how will they ever know when they have added enough?

People who have come to the knowledge about Jesus Christ are divided into three categories. Those who are placed 'in Christ' and believe. Those who completely turn from God and give up all hope. Or those who get themselves on the treadmill of self-redemption. The latter of these two is the worst because self redemption is the most deceptive sin there is. Fear forces people into denial of the truth. In that denial they end up believing a lie, the lie that they can redeem themselves by their own effort. This effort of self-redemption is an insult to God. It would be better for them if they never had come to know about Jesus Christ. The attempt at self-redemption is what Heb. 10:26-31 is all about. Jesus Christ is sufficient, nothing can be added.

If one has entered the Sabbath Rest of God they have peace and that peace will never leave them.. (John 14:27 KJV) Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." Jesus doesn't say, "Peace I give and take from you depending on whether you beg for forgiveness enough or not, or work enough for righteouseness or not, or add enough to secure eternal life or not. He says, "Peace I LEAVE you" but that only happens when one quits working in the area of self-redemption. The more one works the more fear and deception it creates and the further from Peace and Rest they drift.

Heb. 4:9 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works (self- redemption), as God did from His.

1 Jn. 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

Rom 8:15 -17 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: Jesus loved us so much that He died for us while we were His enemies and said He would never leave nor forsake us if we believe on Him. If He did that while we were His enemies, is He going to forsake us now that we are not His enemies? Now that we have been adopted by God the Father to the extent that we call Him 'Daddy'? Peace comes for one who rests in that love, because His perfect love casts out fear but one who fears cannot enter His rest.

That's why we are told to examine ourselves. Are we of faith or are we on the treadmill of self- redemption because of fear?

For we which have believed do enter into the rest and peace of God which never leaves us. 

(John 14:1 KJV) Let not your heart be troubled (fearful): ye believe in God, believe also in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment